I have a disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis.
It wasn’t always easy for me to tell people that, in fact I spent years hiding the fact. After two years of actively working to raise awareness of AS – I’m now fully recovered. NOT from the disease, oh no, but from the fear of sharing that part of who I am. I have managed to scrape and battle to a place where I accept this as part of what I deal with and when that happened – I became free. Yes, it is like a freedom to put a chronic disease back in its place. I now work to share with people that they can live a good and joyful life no matter the health issues that surround them.
For people finding who aren’t familiar with AS:
Ankylosing spondylitis is an autoimmune arthritis that causes inflammation of the joints between the spinal bones, and the joints between the spine and pelvis. It eventually causes the affected spinal bones to join together and fuse. This is a simple one sentence about a very complex disease.
For the best information available online, please visit the Spondylitis Association of America at spondylitis.org! Also take a look at the sites below. I post information and on AS News Facebook Page & Twitter account!
On Facebook: http://facebook.com/ASNewsAndUpdates
On Twitter: @ASNewsUpdates
There are many wonderful groups and websites below where you can find information about Ankylosing Spondylitis.
Organizations and Groups
- Spondylitis Association of America http://www.spondylitis.org/
- NASS: National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society http://www.nass.co.uk
- IAAM: International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement – http://iaamovement.org
- CASP: Coalition of Ankylosing Spondylitis Patientshttp://www.thecasp.net/
- GASP: Global Ankylosing Spondylitis Project 2011 http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_192443460790412
- Kick AS http://www.kickas.org
- ASRA United http://asraunited.org
- ASAP: Ankylosing Spondylitis Awareness Project
- Spondyville (http://www.spondyville.com/)
- The Faces of Ankylosing Spondylitis – http://thefacesofankylosingspondylitis.com/
- AS Answers (www.answers.ankylosing.org)
- Hurting But Hopeful http://hurtingbuthopeful.org
Personal Blogs written by AS’ers
- Amanda of United Voices For Ankylosing Spondylitis (http://www.unitedvas.com/
- Meloni of Ankylosing Spondylitis Mom (http://www.asmom-meloni.blogspot.com)
- Kate of KATEALICE COOKBOOK http://katealicecookbook.com
- Maya of Loving With Chronic Illness http://lovingwithchronicillness.blogspot.com
- Playing The Hand I Was Dealt – http://playingthehandiwasdealt.blogspot.com/
- Ricky of Endless Trax – http://endlesstrax.wordpress.com/
- The Chronicle Disease http://thechronicledisease.blogspot.com/
- Kim of Thrive Out Loud http://thriveoutloud.blogspot.com/
- Living with Ankylosing Spondylitis – http://living-with-ankylosing-spondylitis.blogspot.com/
- Kelby of Peachy Pains – http://peachypains.com/
- Tiffany Westrich (founder & CEO of IAAM) personal blog – http://autoimmunearthritis.blogspot.com
- Helgi Olafson – AS Athlete http://www.helgiolafson.blogspot.com/
- Tariq of iamONE http://iamONE.org.uk
- Betsy of Blessed Beyond The Storm – http://www.blessedbeyondthestorm.com/
- Cookie Hopper of Cookie Has AS – http://cookiehasas.wordpress.com
- Joy of Joy Lives Pain Free – firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a blog or website that you would like included in this list, please contact us via the “Contact Us” page and we will happily add you!